The Chairman leads the Board and ensures its effectiveness. He also organises its business and sets its agenda. In addition to the Chairman, there are currently seven independent non-executive Directors who have a range of strong and complementary skills.
Before each Board and Committee meeting, relevant reports and papers, including financial performance data and detailed updates on the progress and implementation of the strategic plan where appropriate, are circulated to Directors.
The Board has the opportunity to discuss these reports and updates and to challenge directly the Executive Directors and other senior management, who attend all or part of the Board meetings.
The key responsibilities and areas of focus for the Board are:
- Strategy – contribute to the development of, and agree, the Group’s strategy. This includes through review and discussion of reports and updates at Board meetings as well as through the annual strategy review meeting which is attended by the Board and, where relevant, other senior management.
- Group financial and operational performance – review and monitor the performance of the Group, including through regular reporting and discussions with the Executive Committee and other senior management.
- Senior management – ensure that the Executive Committee has the skills and resources to deliver the strategy and that appropriate succession and contingency planning is in place.
- Evaluation and composition – review the performance of the Board and its Committees to ensure that they are effective. Ensure that the Board and its Committees comprise competent and capable individuals with a diverse range of skills and experience who provide challenge to management and bring independent views to the decisions being made.
- Internal controls – maintain an appropriate internal control framework.
- Risk – ensure that there are effective risk management policies and processes in place and an appropriate governance structure.
Matters delegated by the Board to management include implementation of the Board approved strategy, day-to-day management and operation of the business, the appointment and remuneration of all staff below the Executive Committee and the formulation and implementation of risk management policies and processes.